Well, the argyle quilt is done and on it’s way to the crinkle-o-matic.
I’m not sure about this one. I think the real problem lies in my fabric choices. It’s not quite argyle looking. I don’t hate the quilt but it just doesn’t look like I intended it to look. If you follow me on Twitter you might know, I finally figured out why this quilt is a little off. I think it’s my fabric placement.
Next time I try this pattern I think I will have the darker/brighter fabric crisscrossed by the smaller lighter sashing and the lighter by the dark sashing. I think that might give the squares more ‘pop’ and help to define the argyle a bit more.
I didn’t want to stipple this quilt for two reasons.
1. I want to try to get away from stippling everything and move toward some free-motion quilting with a little more design and that takes the piecing into consideration more.
2. I wanted to try to emphasize argyle in this quilt since the layout fell a little short.
I searched all over the blogosphere for free-motion inspiration but nothing spoke to me for this one. I resorted to…stitch in the ditch…oh the horror.
The back is a Winnie the Pooh print that I had in my stash, leftovers from a baby quilt I made a few years ago. Winnie the Pooh on baby quilts have a special place in my heart because my first quilt (made by my Grandma) had Winnie the Pooh fabric.
This is why I try out my ideas on my friends first, sometimes they aren’t quite right. This one’s going to yet another friend of mine who is having a baby boy. I’m thinking I need to make something else for her. While a quilt alone is wonderful as a gift I think babies require extra presents! I have been toying around with a softie, a regular old tote, or a diaper bag. I’m thinking a little bib too. I better get going, the shower is on Saturday!